Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 20: Make something using clay in a way you have never used it before.


Rachel: Wow, working with clay was a weird experience for me. It's been ages since I've used clay of any kind, and decades since I've used DAS. This project was supposed to take me about an hour, but it took 3 hours. It was inspired by the idea of trying to roll a lace doily onto fondant when decorating a cake (lace doilies are good for nothing anyway - I'm surprised I still own one), to make a pattern without using one of those specially carved rolling pins. Anyhoo! I used terracotta DAS, which doesn't roll out well at all, and smells like some odd chemical. Turned out that I had A LOT of fun shaping everything with my hands and some water. It was a great feeling to get control over the clay. I actually made all the layers of the "cake" and put them together and put a layer of "fondant" on top, etc. However, when "cutting the cake" which I did with some thread, all the layers melded together so all that work was kind of useless. After being painted, this will be a toy cake for my daughter to use when she "feeds" her dolls.

Hannah: I made a bird mask. Corbin my youngest son is modeling it.

1 comment: