Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 68: Create something with papier-mache.


Hannah: I love working with papier-mache, and have taken on a rather ambitious project. I was inspired by clocks made in my son's class. I am making a clock that will be a tree stump. This is not a 1 day project, I will post the completed project when it is done.

Rachel: I am not a huge fan of papier mache objects. I feel like they might get infested with bugs (that eat glue) over time. I suppose that if they are properly varnished, that could be avoided. In any case, I have not worked with paper mache since I was a kid, and I found it sort of calming this time around. I made my own glue out of flour, water and salt (cooked). After applying about 10 layers of paper, I was getting tired of it, but that's probably because it's midnight. What I am making here is a musical instrument (a rainstick). I have covered a tube with plastic wrap and am covering that with paper mache. It's propped on top of a bottle for drying purposes. Needless to say, I don't think that a paper mache project really fits into this 365 project, as it is VERY time consuming, and definitely takes more than one day.

2 comments:

  1. the ideas you all come up with are so perfectly whimsical and practical... the idea of bug infested papier mache kinda threw me off though...is that even possible? what kind of bugs eat glue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the most common bugs that eat glue (and any starch-based thing), plus they eat cotton as well, are called silverfish. they are extremely annoying.

    ReplyDelete