Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 109: Play with dirt. Work with the first patch of dirt you see.


Hannah: I made a koru of rocks on the dirt outside my front door. In a bit of a hurry! The koru is a spiral shape used in Maori art based on the shape of a new unfurling silver fern. It symbolizes new life, growth and strength (according to Wikipedia). Simple and beautiful!


Rachel:
Process
  1. in a small village, I made an arched door out of dirt clods in an empty garden and took a photo with husband's iphone
  2. husband erased my photo before I could get it online (no iphone connection in that village)
  3. starting over, in a patch of dirt on my terrace, I worked the dirt to break it into small bits
  4. I experimented with sprinkling it with water, as it was so dry it was like working with dust. A little moister, it was more workable
  5. my hands had to get involved to shape something
  6. here is my dirt leaf outlined by dead bay leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment